In a class action, a large group of people with similar legal disputes are represented by a few named individuals called “class representatives.” Class actions allow for a system-wide solution to repeated violations of the law by businesses. Because a few people are able to stand up for the rights of hundreds or thousands of others, many class members receive a benefit from the case without having to go through the stress and expense of personally litigating the case. At The Simon Law Firm, we have a dedicated group of class action attorneys who focus largely on class actions.
To litigate class action claims, attorneys need to consider numerous state and federal laws regarding the specific types of claims. In addition, class action attorneys must also navigate a large body of procedural law that relates specifically to class actions. These dual requirements mean that attorneys are most successful when class actions are a serious part of their practice. The result of our focus on class actions is an aggressive and diverse group of class action attorneys who are involved in wide variety of interesting and meaningful cases.
The Simon Law Firm has a distinguished record of success representing consumers and employees. Our class action attorneys have argued cases before the Missouri Supreme Court five times since 2009. They regularly appear before the Missouri Court of Appeals and have successfully argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2011, three members of the class action team were voted the “Most Influential Appellate Attorneys” in Missouri because of their class action success on behalf of consumers. Our class action attorneys have been recognized as the “winningest” plaintiff attorneys in Missouri. In 2012, our firm received the Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Service Award from the Saint Louis University School of Law’s Public Interest Law Group for our consumer law work.
Our class action attorneys have handled hundreds of complex class action suits, including complex class certification motions and trials. They have published numerous articles and given presentations around the country on a wide-range of class action and consumer law topics. Recent successful class action appellate decisions obtained by our class action attorneys include:
- Brewer v. Missouri Title Loans, -- S.W.3d --, 2012 WL 716878 (Mo. Mar. 6, 2012)
- Huch v. Charter Comm’ns, Inc., 290 S.W.3d 721 (Mo. 2009)
- Hooper v. Advance America, Inc., 589 F.3d 917 (8th Cir. 2009)
- Woods v. QC Financial Services, Inc., 280 S.W.3d 90 (Mo. E.D. App. 2008)
The class action team handles a wide-range of consumer and class action matters, including:
- Cases on behalf of homeowners against companies for petroleum spills, polluting private property and jeopardizing residents’ health
- Cases on behalf of property owners against chemical companies for deceptive labeling of products which have damaged the environment, including killing numerous trees
- Cases against various companies with nation-wide impact which have resulted in Multi-District Litigation (MDL)
- Cases on behalf of homeowners who have been foreclosed despite making timely payments on their mortgages
- Cases against employers who fail to pay their employees overtime, including misclassification of employees as supervisors
- Cases against employers who have wrongfully demoted or terminated an employee based on gender, race, age, disability, or religion
- Cases on behalf of groups of employees who have been affected by an employer who has improperly modified its employee pension benefit plans.
- Cases against multiple payday lenders and title lenders for violating Missouri law
- Cases on behalf of consumers who have been misled by product manufacturers' deceptive advertisements
- Cases against auto dealers and auto repair shops for engaging in deceptive practices, including the charging of misleading and illegal fees