The Southtown Star reports that the Village of Crestwood, Illinois determined that a well was tainted with toxins, but tapped into it for its municipal water supply for over 20 years, without residents or regulators knowing. The Illinois Environmental Protection agency has said that the public's health isn't at risk, but the EPA says otherwise as it believes there is no safe level of vinyl chloride, one of the contaminates found. The EPA considers vinyl choride a "Group A human carcinogen" - meaning there is a definite link to cancer. Short term exposure to vinyl chloride can cause dizziness, headaches and drowsiness. Long term exposure has been linked to liver problems and cancer. The other contaminates include perchloroethylene (PCE), trichloroethane (TCA), and petroleum solvents.
You can find out more about the lawsuit filed here. What brought this to light was the persistent efforts of a mother of a child with leukemia, according to a story in the Examiner.com.
We will be keeping an eye on this for developments. While I do not currently represent anyone involved with this site, I do represent hundreds of similarly situated people around the country in various landfill and other environmental litigation cases. To find out if The Simon Law Firm can help with a landfill litigation case, contact Todd Hageman.