A 7 year old was killed in a house fire caused by a defective Lasko Portable Cyclone Fan. Lasko Products is the largest fan manufacture in the U.S. The defect was in the China made motor that was installed in Lasko Portable fans. Plaintiff alleged that the fan was defective because it was prone to accidents in which a bearing would wear out, causing excessive heat. The defense alleged that the fire was caused by cigarette smoking or a child playing with matches.
The jury agreed the fan was defective. It awarded the plaintiffs $13.5 million: $7.5 million for wrongful death; $4 million to the mother for pain and suffering; and $2 million to the 9-year-old sister for pain and suffering.
If you have experienced a similar situation or have one of these fans, please contact The Simon Law Firm, P.C.