Overview:

A claim was brought against Coleman by the mother of a young man named Cary Lam. Cary went camping with his uncle. They lit a lantern for warmth in the middle of a cool night, and Cary died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Coleman propane cylinder that was used did not mention the risks of carbon monoxide and stated that the propane should be used in a ventilated area. Both 2' x 2' windows on the tent were wide open at the time of the accident. The case of Jone v. Coleman was settled in March of 2009 for a confidential amount. Coleman did not admit liability.